In my latest read, 'Expecting Adam' by Martha Beck, I came across the best quote and wanted to share it with you. "The understanding that the word mother is more powerful when it is used as a verb than as a noun. Mothering has little to do with biological reproduction- as another friend once told me, there are women who bare and raise children without ever mothering them, and there are people (both male and female) who mother all of their lives without ever giving birth. The bad news is not all of us have the good fortune to be born to our real mothers, or stay with them as long as we need them. The good news is while mothers are often in short supply, mothering is not. Against all odds, despite everything that works against it on this unpleasant, uncomfortable planet, mothering is here in abundance. You can always find it, if you're smart and know where to look."
I'm am so thankful for my friends and sisters who have been great at mothering me, advising me, supporting me, but also great examples of mothers. Love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
I love that! Verb vs. noun. Interesting take and so true! Oh, and I have now finished New Moon and going to the bookstore before we leave CA to purchase Eclipse!! I love those books!!!
Great quote. I'm so lucky to be surrounded by great mothers that keep me going and inspire me to be a better mother. Love you too!
I loved that book. You shouldn't read it when you are pregnant! Too bad we are not in vegas! Love your guts!
What a great quote:) I always know where to come to be uplifted:)
I am so behind on my reading! I still need to go and get Twilight.
~Chelsea
Post a Comment